The Hole

November 19, 2013

My son finally reached me today. I received a letter. It has been ten days since I have heard from him. That's because he's been in "The Hole"--solitary confinement.

According to his letter, he was jumped by two guys who had been giving him a hard time for a while. He defended himself. He ended up with two black eyes and stitches over his left eye. And he ended up in The Hole.

This means he spends 23 hours a day in a small room. He may only write and sleep. "No phones, no books, nothing," were his exact words. The hour he gets out includes a shower. They told him that they seemed to misplace his towel so he doesn't have one. Also, his food is squished down into a "loaf" and served to him that way.

What more can they do to humiliate and demean him? He has to sit in there for 23 hours a day completely isolated. He showers and drips dry. And his food is a squished up loaf. They have told him he could be in there for as many as 20 days.

How is this humane?

He was only defending himself. He did NOT initiate this assault. He was JUMPED. How is this humane?

Someone tell me?

Please, I do not understand. I do not understand. I do not understand...







No comments:

Please share a comment